Do you have a weakness for your sister’s cherry cheesecake, Aunt Jenny’s casserole, or cousin Tom’s cookies? The holiday season is filled with tasty obstacles that can trip up your weight-loss goals. These five tips can help you get through the holiday season without gaining weight:
- Be realistic. It’s no fun to be stressed out and trying to lose weight during the holidays. Instead, aim to hold the line at your current weight.
- Shop smart. Celebrate the season with festive and healthy items. Look for low-fat or non-dairy eggnog, unsweetened apple cider, unsalted nuts, whole-grain crackers, fresh vegetable and fruit platters, and low-calorie dips.
- Keep hunger in check. Have a light snack before going to a party so you won’t be famished and overdo it.
- Enjoy yourself. Eat your favorite foods, but in small portions. Go easy on high-calorie beverages and be choosy at the buffet table—you don’t have to sample everything.
- Make time for exercise. It’s a great way to burn calories and lower stress. Get up a half hour early so you can fit it in. Walk a few extra laps around the store while you shop. Reconnect with family by making a holiday hike or post-meal walk a new tradition.
If you do overindulge, don’t dwell on it. Just get back to your exercise and eating plan the next day. With a little care, you can enjoy that cheesecake without having to loosen your belt a notch. Looking to start a wellness and weightloss program? Visit SBL Wellness and Weight Loss program
5 Healthy Eating Tips for the Holidays. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. www.cdc.gov/diabetes/library/features/holidays-healthy-eating.html.
5 Tips for Enjoying the Holiday Without Gaining Weight. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. www.eatright.org/health/lifestyle/holidays/how-to-enjoy-the-holiday-without-the-weight-gain.
7 Excuses to Overindulge, and How to Take Control. American Heart Association. www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/nutrition-basics/top-7-excuses-to-overindulge-and-how-to-take-control.
10 Tips: Make Healthier Holiday Choices. U.S. Department of Agriculture. www.choosemyplate.gov/ten-tips-make-healthier-holiday-choices.
Holiday Eating Can Stay Under Control with Simple Strategies. American Heart Association. www.heart.org/en/news/2018/11/21/holiday-eating-can-stay-under-control-with-simple-strategies.