- 4 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
- 1 15-ounce can (about 1–1 ½ cups) low-sodium corn kernels, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with chilies
- 4 cups cooked whole wheat noodles or chunky pasta
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 slices of lime for garnish
Put chicken broth into a large soup pot and add onion and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add chicken. Add, corn, beans, and tomatoes. Heat to boiling point, then turn off heat.
Put 1 cup of pasta and a quarter-cup of cilantro in each serving bowl. Pour soup over noodles. Garnish with slice of lime.
Makes 4 hearty servings
Each serving contains about 521 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat, no trans fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 683 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 9 g dietary fiber, 8 g sugars, and 38 g protein.