In honor of Earth Day, here are some earth-friendly ideas for living AND eating green that you can incorporate around your home.
- Shop and eat locally – Staying local means less pollution and waste to get your food to your table.
- BYOB – Bring your own bag when shopping (you’ll get a great insulated reusable shopping bag when you sign up for HMR!)
- Organic foods – Certain foods like peaches, sweet bell peppers, apples, celery and strawberries are much safer when produced organically. Better yet, hit the local farmer’s market!
- Go brown – Look for whole grains, not refined or processed varieties.
- Grill it – Outdoor grilling takes less energy, so fire it up!
- Be meat mindful – Producing meat products uses more energy, water and resources compared to grains or produce.
- Recycle – The whole family can help by sorting glass, cans , plastic and cardboard.
- Clean greener – Try easy home recipes with ingredients such as baking soda, lemon juice, white vinegar and club soda.
- Reduce Waste – Pick ingredients with limited or recyclable packaging.
- Compost – Cut up those fruit and veggie scraps, tea bags and crushed egg shells (no meat, dairy or oils) to use in your garden and landscaping!
- Don’t tap out– Teach children to turn off the water while brushing their teeth. Leaving the tap running during the recommended two minutes of brushing can waste up to five gallons of water a day.
- Repurpose milk jugs– Cut off top with a utility knife just above the handle and use as a scoop for kitty litter, birdseed, etc.
By working together and making small changes, we can make a BIG difference! If you need help working towards a healthier YOU, contact us at (217) 238-4774 to attend one of the FREE informational sessions and learn more about the program and how to get started. Happy Earth Day from your friends in the SBL Weight Management Program!