This meal is generally lightly seasoned, which allows each diner to add condiments to individual taste.
- 4 large, square red, yellow, or green bell peppers (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup water
Wash peppers and cut off tops 1/4- to 1/2-inch down. Remove seeds; set tops aside. Put peppers in a baking dish. Heat oil in a skillet. Saute garlic and onion with dried red chilies until onion is soft, about five minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, and brown rice. Mix thoroughly. Spoon mixture into prepared peppers and put tops back on. Add 1/2 cup water to pan. Cover and bake at 375 degrees until peppers are soft, about 45 minutes to an hour. Serve with fiery mango salsa.
Each serving contains about 289 calories, 11 g protein, 5 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 53 g carbohydrates, 12 g fiber, and 8 mg sodium.
FIERY MANGO SALSA
- 1 fresh mango
- 1 jalapeno, minced, with seeds and ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Peel and chop mango, and place in a small bowl. Add all other ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Each serving contains about 38 calories, less than 1 g protein, less than 1 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 10 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, and 3 mg sodium.